Special Events are events of general public interest, of temporary duration, and open to the public in a non-discriminatory manner. If your event falls under this description and you request use of City property for your event, it is a “Special Event” that falls under the City Commission’s Special Event Policy.
To apply to host a special event within the City of Kalamazoo, please fill out the application below and return, with payment, to the Department of Parks and Recreation: 251 Mills st Kalamazoo MI 49048. If needed, please also include the application for a temporary structure and application to serve alcohol in a park.
If you will be unsung a tent or temporary structure please fill out our temporary structure application:
If your event will have alcohol (not an option for private parties), please fill out the alcohol permit application:
Special Event Request and Approval Procedure:
- Complete and submit the form Request for Use of City Property for a Public Event and pay the appropriate non-refundable application fee. You may attach additional information about your event. If you are requesting use of city streets or sidewalks for a parade, walk or march, a complete description of the proposed route and a map should be included with the request form. No park/street will be tentatively reserved, and no Special Event request will be processed without payment of this fee. City parks/streets are available for Special Events on a first come/first serve basis. To find out what amenities or services are available at various parks, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 337-8191.
- Once the Parks and Recreation Department receives your request form and application fee, we will circulate the form to various City departments for recommendations and fee estimates. If there are concerns or questions about your event, you may be contacted for more information or clarification. Estimates of Special Event Fees are based on the Special Event Fee Schedule adopted by the City Commission each January. Departments have the right to determine the amount of resources required to service your event (for example, the number of barricades needed to block off streets for a parade route).
- When all necessary City departments have submitted their recommendations and fee estimates, the Parks and Recreation Department will submit your request to the City Manager’s Office for approval.
- After the City Manager or his designee approves your request, you will receive notification of the approval, which will include an estimate of fees and an explanation of any additional requirements.
- If you have any questions about specific City services, please contact the Special Event Coordinator at 337-8191.